Pages

2011 Review and Random Pictures

I'm listening to Bing singing "Silent Night." Mom is baking gingerbread cookies. The stockings are hung with care. It's Christmas. How I love it... the traditions, the special music, caroling. I think it truly is the best time of year. Why? because Christ is at the center of it. Yes, I know that our world still tries to make it commercialized, Santa-ized, and fla-la-la-la-lized, but Christ is still there, even if He often gets smothered. I mean it's pretty amazing that one can still hear "O Come All ye Faithful" in the stores. You would never hear Amazing Grace or anything like that, but all of the sudden it becomes "okay" to sing about God on Christmas. America is going downhill - everyone knows that - but there's still that element, yes, perhaps small, of Christmas being about Christ. That's why it IS the best holiday. When our lives revolve around Christ, then things are happy, peaceful, joyful. And that has nothing to do with the exterior. You can be as poor as a church mouse, but with Christ, be happier than any rich man in a bed of luxury. So strive to have your life revolve around Him. Make Him the center. I know these are things that we have probably all heard countless times, but it really is true.

So instead of the usual commentary between pictures, I'm going to post a review of 2011. Snicker if you like - it's up to you. :) I just couldn't think of anything more original than that. And the pictures. I think they can all speak for themselves.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before? I flew by myself for the first time. I was pretty scared, but it turned out okay. :)

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Um, I don't think I even made any. I figured that I probably couldn't keep 'em. End of story. As for this year, I don't know...maybe to read the Bible through in one year. I always purpose to do that, but often give up in the Leviticus, Numbers area. Anyone else ever do that?? :) But yeah, this year I want to try again.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Mm-hmmm...my S.I.L. gave birth to William the Adorable.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No.

5. What countries did you visit? Let's make this a poor woman's quiz and keep it to states - Tennessee. :)

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? A deeper walk with Christ.

7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The day we decided to move - the day we decided not to move. :)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Finishing something in my sewing basket that had been sitting in there for at least a years...or two. :) That's pretty epic for me.

9. What was your biggest failure? Wow. Not reaching out to people when the Lord was prompting me to.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope. I think maybe two colds this year? :)

11. What was the best thing you bought? Secret stuff for people for Christmas. :D

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Mm, probably my sister Aimee when she went through yet another miscarriage. I only hope to have as much fortitude as my both of my sisters. They should be commended.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The doctors that give abortions day after day.

14. Where did most of your money go? That is a very interesting question. Food, gas, clothes...not sure. We lump all of our incomes together in my family.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Seeing my new nephew for the first time, reading an amazing book that Kalya wrote, praying in front of an abortion clinic for the 40 Days of Life campaign.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2011? Ava Maria. :)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder? Happier! I have an amazing family, and I'm so happy to spend Christmas with them. There's no one else in the world I would rather be with than with them. We are so rich. God has blessed over and over again.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of Really reading His word more...and meditating on it.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? I wish that I had been not been as selfish!

20. How will you be spending Christmas? See 17.

21. How will you be spending New Years? Um, 17, too. :)

24. What was your favorite TV program? I Shouldn't Be Alive.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Nope.

26. What was the best book you read? Um, Kayla's! :)

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? That all the major keys are called tonic, subdominant, dominant, dominant 7th, or I, IV, V, V7...I don't know if that was a discovery that I made this year, but I certainly got to teach it a lot. I think can practically say it in my sleep. :)

28. What did you want and got? More work. :)

30. What was your favorite film of this year? The Nativity. It is so beautifully done and makes me tear up every time.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 20, I had a "surprise" party. :)

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Being closer to Christ.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Brown, denim, turquoise, and flip-flops year round. :D

34. What kept you sane? My Mom. She has a calming effect.

35. Which celebrity did you like the most? Mm, wow, I don't even know.

36. What political issue stirred you the most? Abortion being legal. Of course it's been that way for some time, but yeah.

37. Who did you miss? My family back home when I was in Tennessee!!!


"Be of good courage...He shall strengthen your heart..." Psalms 31:24

6 comments:

Rachel (Stevens) Buckingham said...

Fun post, Em! I agree with you about "The Nativity"--one of my favorites, too. Love you!

Merry Christmas! :)

Unknown said...

Aww, Emily! I love that first picture! That was so sweet of you to post it! Thank you SO much for taking those! We will always treasure those pictures!

I hardly have time to read anymore but I read it all. I hope you have a very special Christmas and looking forward to New Year's!;)

The other picture I LOVE is the one of "Auntie Em and her little Addie-Girl.:)" Thanks for posting!

Keep seeking the Lord Jesus and remember-HE is the one who keeps us faithful to Him! Love you! I'm praying for you! Merry Christmas!!:D

K. M. Updike said...

Oh, what a lovely post, Em! I love it! Your beginning about everything revolving around Christ, thank you! That was inspiring!

I am so thankful for you! You draw me closer to God! I miss you so much!

Love you!

Laura said...

I love this post!! What beautiful pictures!! The ones with the seagulls over the water are breathtaking. :) Also loved the picture of all of the Sebo girls! How precious!!

Thanking God for you every day,

Laura

9Browns said...

Love the grandma and grandpa pix!
Love to all.
Mrs Brown

Liz Brown said...

Hey you ... you need to blog. Now.

Please ... ?