Pages

Yukon Ho!

This is a short story of an amazing adventure in Alaska. God opened the doors for me to follow in my brother's footsteps and make the journey. In the end, I saw GOD triumph and move in powerful ways despite my shortcomings and failures. God took me miles (literally) out of my comfort zone, but it was completely worth every minute. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

On my way. Don't those mountains look for all the world like cookies and cream ice cream?
Friends beside me. :) We had so much fun traveling together on the first few flights. And then eating frozen yogurt at midnight in the Anchorage airport. It's not every day that you get to do that. 
And before I knew it, Kako! It's a place that I've seen in so many pictures and heard about in so many stories, but to actually be there...well, it was nothing like I thought it would be and everything at the same time.
 The pond. 
And then a hike down to the creek with the brother and friends.

And this is like 12 o'clock at night, folks. Being light all the time is pretty amazing + it throws you for a loop.
Everyone asks whether you get to see any moose or bears. Well, I saw the moose (second to last day I was there!!). And the bear traded place with a fox before going onstage. :)
The first week, we had heard that there might only be three of us girl counselors. At the very last minute these two girls flew in, Aurora and Icey. They were so very sweet and kind and lifesavers both.
Okay, so I don't have many pictures at all from the first week. :( So I stole a few from Jayme (thank you, Jayme!).This is British bulldog on the last day.
The swings were hardly ever empty. The first girl was one of three campers in my cabin.
This is high school week. Jayme and I got to co-counsel together, and these are two of the girls that were in our cabin: Ann, a darling and total sweetheart and Patsy, intelligent, open, honest, and so much fun to talk to.
Hands to help set the arrow straight. Archery was one of the activities.
This girl was a blast to hang out with. She was on the last flight to leave, so we had a lot of time the last day to play games and talk. She was fun - love her so much.
Patsy.
Ann.

This is kind of a typical picture of AWANA games upstairs, another activity that we did with the campers.
The famed hike up to the Kako cross. 
On both days that we went, it was beautifully clear and sunny. It made me feel like being on top of the world with the wind whipping my hair and the breathtaking view below. I'll never forget the thrill of reaching the top for the first time and turning all around to catch every detail of the the valleys below and the mountains in the distance.
The last stretch before reaching the cross.
The cross with Kako below. It was pretty awesome to actually be there in person.

These three were quite the trio. :)
Sisters. They are such lovely friends to me - I'm so very thankful that we got to spend time together in Alaska!

Jayme and me. Jayme, to say that I was supremely glad that you were there is a massive understatement. We were the "twins" by the end of two weeks. Jayme is a sweetheart of epic proportions. She's cheerful, kind, caring. And the stories we'll tell when we're old! :)



High school week group picture. I'm the one in green on the far right with a crazy big grin on my face. :)
Hiking back down the mountain.
I thought this picture was just adorable!!
Our whole team! These girls were sooo much fun to be with.
Forget-me-not. It's the cabin I was in both weeks, and you can be sure that...I will never forget it. Nothing like a little cheesy humor, right?? :) (Thanks to Jayme for this one, too!!)

All of us girls from the California team + Jayme from Colorado. You girls blessed me beyond words. Love you all! And if you couldn't tell, this was the unofficial Kako "uniform" for girls. Not really, but we all ended up with hoodies and denim skirts, so why not? :) ;)
Flying home.
"Whither shall I go from they spirit? 
or whither shall I fee from thy presence? 
If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 
even there shall thy hand lead and thy right hand hold me." 
Psalm 139:7 & 9-10 

This is absolutely true, tried and proven. God is always there. He will never leave you or forsake you. And His strength WILL be glorified in our weakness. Praise Him!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing these; they were so much fun to see.

Rachel (Stevens) Buckingham said...

I really enjoyed the blog post! You got some lovely pictures on the mountain! It was such a blessing being able to go up to Alaska with you. You are such a special friend! I'm so thankful for the time that we were able to spend together and will always cherish those memories. I just wish it could have been longer. :) I couldn't ask for a sweeter or more encouraging friend. I love you!!

Missy said...

Great pictures, Emily! I am glad you were finally able to go to Kako! Forget-Me-Not was my first cabin and is still my favorite. Glad you had a great time!

Mary Myers said...

Hi Emily, this is Mrs. Myers, loved reading your post. Sure looked like fun. Of course I prefer the couch potato participation, where I cheer you girls on, from the safety of my home and the comforts of my fridge ha ha. Thanks for your extended friendship towards Jayme. See you soon : )

Jayme Myers said...

Your post about Alaska was so fun to read! The pictures you took up on the mountain were just plain gorgeous. :) What a special trip that was and to have you there to share all those great adventures with made it perfect. :) I can definitely agree with you there about you and I being the "twins" which of course was super fun. :) Love you very much!

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me know this blog is still alive! I had given up on it for awhile now!:P I'm glad you got to go to Kako! It's always neat to see how God provides counselors each summer! I'm glad you got the experience and mom says she's glad you got to go! Thanks for the blog post and pictures! I enjoyed seeing this and getting a glimpse into your summer trip! Love you very much.;)